2019 | Issue 3
GCC BDI Director Development Programme
The new GCC BDI Director Development Programme provides a structured road map for professional director development tailored for GCC directors.
The programme has 3 levels of qualification:
- The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship
- Mastering the Boardroom – Diploma in Board Directorship
- Chartered Director
The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship is being launched in April 2019. The other qualification levels will follow in 2020.
The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship provides participants with the knowledge and understanding to fulfil their role as board directors. It consists of 4 modules:
Module 1: Corporate Governance Essentials
Module 2: The Effective Director
Module 3: The Effective Board
Module 4: Board Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Reporting
And an optional assessment for those participants pursuing a Certificate Award that contains a multiple-choice examination. Participants can attend 1, 2, 3 or all 4 modules, but to be certified, they must attend all 4 modules and pass the final test.
Module 1: Corporate Governance Essentials
- 29-30 April 2019, Riyadh, KSA
This module of “The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship” explores the roles played by the shareowners, boards, directors, executive managers and other stakeholders.
Module 3: The Effective Board
- 5-6 November 2019, Riyadh, KSA
This module of “The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship” explores the role of the board in formulating and implementing strategy and managing enterprise risk. The course includes the evaluation of the executive directors’ performance as well as business ethics.
WHAT IS A CERTIFIED DIRECTOR (CERT.DIR)
The Certified Director (Cert.Dir.) is a professional designation conferred by the GCC Board Directors Institute (GCC BDI)
The designation is awarded to individuals who have successfully completed the relevant training programme and a multiple choice questions based test (MCQs). The training programme is based on the GCC BDI’s Board Director Competency Framework.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING A CERTIFIED DIRECTOR
Achieving the award of the Certificate in Board Directorship means that a director has demonstrated an internationally accepted level of understanding of corporate governance, the role of the board and the director, strategy, risk, ethics, accounting, finance, control and corporate reporting. A director that has attained the award of the Certificate in Board Directorship is equipped to make a valuable contribution to any board based upon increased knowledge and confidence.
- Professionalism – it offers a clear course structure and development path leading ultimately to Chartered Director
- Validation – it validates that an individual has the core knowledge and awareness that is necessary to function effectively as a director. The regulators are increasingly requiring board directors to demonstrate they have undertaken professional development
- Competence– through attaining the designation, you signal to the market place that you are ready to serve as a director. Companies appointing directors on to subsidiary or joint venture boards are increasingly recognising the value that board directors can provide to their organizations and want to ensure their appointees have the right knowledge and skills
- Commitment – Certification enables directors to demonstrate their commitment to professional development and to benchmark their own knowledge and skills against clearly established standards of good governance practice.
- Assurance – being a Certified Director provides you with the confidence as an aspirant or a less experienced director, as well as providing the market place with assurance of your ability and competence
- Recognition – the professional designation raises your profile as an aspirant or less experienced director and sets you apart amongst your peers. We will publish the list of Certified Directors on our website. You are entitled to use the designation Cert.Dir. (GCCBDI) after your name
- Relevance – provides GCC-relevant content and details of local regulations and incorporates regional aspects in course content as well as using global case studies
WHO CAN APPLY TO BECOME A CERTIFIED DIRECTOR
The Certificate in Board Directorship is a programme designed to meet the development needs of existing, new and aspiring members of boards of directors and board committees.
The programme is also designed to meet the development needs of advisors and senior managers who report to the board or board committees who are interested in expanding their knowledge of corporate governance. In addition, professional executives with an interest in corporate governance may find the course to be relevant and useful e.g. media, judiciary, legal, accounting, finance and banking.
Overview of the process
The award of a Certificate in Board Directorship will be dependent upon:
- The attendance of all 4 modules
- The successful completion of a Multiple-Choice Question (MCQ) Examination that evaluates the participant’s learning of all topics covered in the four modules.
Participants with MBAs and / or Professional qualifications will be required to attend all modules. No exemptions will be awarded.
However, an individual who wishes to take a fast track to either Diploma or Chartered Director status may elect to take the Multiple-Choice Question examination without attending the 4 modules. The individual will be able to assess their knowledge levels using the self-assessment platform available on the GCC BDI website. If the individual passes the examination they will be deemed to have the necessary entry requirement to progress to the Diploma level but will not be awarded a certificate. This is in line with other Institutes of Directors such as the UK IoD.
Dates for the training module and exams are set annually and are available on the GCC BDI website under our Events calendar.
Participants should book their seat via the website or email email@example.com.
Pre-payment is required for all participants.
Companies are increasingly recognising the value that board directors can provide to their organisations.
Also director induction and board evaluation processes are increasingly recommending that directors need to improve their skills and knowledge.
Some companies as part of their talent management programme identify current and aspiring directors and proactively focus on improving their professionalism through certification programs to demonstrate and verify their knowledge and understanding and suggest the willingness for continual learning in what is an increasingly demanding profession.
Companies may wish to
- Professionalise boards
- Find a quality identifier of potential board directors
- Use director certification as a required attribute in appointing directors
- Evaluate their board directors by testing their knowledge and skills
- Build confidence and credibility in the participant’s likely future performance
- Demonstrate that their directors are regularly updated on current issues, trends, and practices
Companies wishing to run a tailored in house certification programme for their directors should contact us for more information – Tel +971 52750 9145 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Per 2 day workshop
Members: USD 3780
Non-Members: USD 4200
Participants wishing to pre-purchase all 4 workshops: 20% discount
Members: USD 12,096
Non-Members: USD 13,440
WHY GCC BDI
- GCC BDI is a not for profit company whose mission is to make a positive impact on the economies and societies of the region by promoting professional directorship and raising the level of board effectiveness.
- We have a long and successful and proven track record of delivering top quality programmes and working with the top companies in the GCC over the last 11 years.
- We work with a large talented pool of top international, regional and local experts in their field, mainly practioners. Our expertise extends well beyond pure academic references and is based on tried and tested methodologies and programs.
- GCC BDI now works with over 1200 GCC members, the largest and most influential network of directors in the region. Our members are our greatest
- We believe that Director Development is critical to board effectiveness. GCC BDI’s unique combination of skills and experience, local knowledge and understanding, and strong Corporate Governance and regulatory knowledge, combined with practical director expertise is what enables us to deliver exceptionally high quality programmes.